Questions regarding the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

We strive to process applications as quickly as possible.  However, all required documentation must be submitted before we can begin the process.  Once all documentation is submitted, it can take up to eighteen business hours to process your application.

You should receive a letter of approval or denial within fifteen business days of your appointment notifying you about the status of your application.  You may also contact the power/gas company Friday after 12:00 pm of your appointment week to inquire about the voucher on your account.  If there is no voucher on your account Friday afternoon following your appointment and you have turned in all required documentation, please contact our office by dialing (850) 607-2088.

We do assist with final bills once you have obtained a new place to start service.  You would need to apply for service at your new address and obtain a letter from the power/gas company stating the amount required to start service at the new address.  If you are simply transferring service, you must wait until you obtain a bill for the new address before applying for assistance.

Questions regarding Head Start

Click on “Locations” under the Head Start tab above to view our 2021-22 openings. You can view our latest flyer HERE.

We serve a total of 925 children

They ensure that all of the comprehensive services are provided to our children and families.  The services that are provided are the following: health screenings, nutrition, dental, disability services, mental health, social services, and non-federal In-kind.  They work with a team of supervisors and managers who are responsible for implementing the services.

Call the application line at 1-850-308-7265 to make an appointment with a trained intake specialist. You can also print an application from our website or fill one out in person. Click HERE to view our latest locations, appointment details and what to bring with you.

It will take 3 weeks to process the application.

Call the main number and hit “0” for the operator, and tell the operator you are asking about the status of your child’s application.

Questions regarding Mental Health

The Mental Health Consultant visits the Head Start, Early Head Start, Child Care Network and Title 1 classrooms to provide individual child observation, consultation, and support for the teachers and staff. The Consultants provide support and training for the parents, individually and in group settings. Children and/or families who are in need of counseling, therapy or evaluation are assisted with referral to one of several Mental Health centers (Lakeview, Children’s Home Society, Gulf Coast Kid’s House, Adult and Child Mental Health Care, Covenant Care).

Head Start, Early Head Start, CCN and Title 1 parents can contact the Mental Health Consultant through their Social Service Advocate or Michelle Garrett the Mental Health Specialist at (850) 432 2992 ext 419 or via email

No, all Mental Health services are strictly confidential, Mental Health records are kept secure in the office of the Mental Health Specialist.

Questions for the Disability Specialist

After receiving a signed consent from parent or guardian our disability specialist will do a BDI screener. This test is a series of questions and games at the end of the test we score them we contact the parent to review the results and discuss the areas of concerns if needed we forward the screener to child find for further evaluation. A staffing date is then set and scheduled to go over the results with the review team.

We are always excepting applications.  You can schedule an appointment @ our 800# or go online to complete the application. You will be contacted for an appointment by one of our SSA. Once the application process is complete, it’s turned into Admissions for review and they will contact you. Wait time is determined on availability and qualifications.

Children 2 years old and under can apply for our home-based program by completing the application process. Once accepted and services start, they are then put on the waitlist for a transition classroom placement if they are 3 years old by December 1st  of that year or waitlisted for the next school year for placement.

Children with IEP attending a head start classroom receive service from our district partner either in the classroom, or district schools close to the center transportation provided by Head Start and escorted by the SSA or employed staff. If the child is dual-enrolled then that child is moved to a district school transportation with head start services following them as a dual-enrolled student they will still receiving our services such and SSA, dental, Christmas, carnival ect. if the parent consents.  An enrollment package must be completed yearly unless the child is kindergarten, age 5. If the child has an IFSP home-based services are redirected by early steps, where the services are provided.